Toxoplasmosis During Pregnancy : Know The Risk: Pregnancy is a very important moment in the life of every woman, and though, apparently, the House is a safe place for the mother and the baby, there are certain factors that could harm your well-being. For this reason, we offer some information and recommendations that will be very beneficial, so you can enjoy a healthy pregnancy.
What happens if you have a cat at home?
Toxoplasmosis is an infectious disease that can stay at cats and be transmitted to humans, which may interfere with fertility. However, in case such that you are pregnant, there are a few step precautions if you have cats at home, since contracting this disease while awaiting your baby can cause a higher risk of miscarriage orpresenting the baby birth defects. In addition, where the mother getting this disease shortly before pregnancy, there is a 50% chance of transmitting it to the baby.
Therefore, if you have cats at home, you should take the following forecasts:
• Take your cat to the vet to check for the presence of disease
• Avoid that your cat eats raw meat, mice or birds
• Avoid that your cat is in contact with other cats of neighbors
• Ask someone to help you to change the cat litter. When you should do it, the best practice is to use gloves and wash hands thoroughly after completing the task
• Change the cat litter frequently
• If you have garden, wear gloves if you are a gardening activity to avoid contact with the feces of an infected animal
• Thoroughly wash fruits and vegetables
• Do not eat raw meat
• Do not drink unpasteurized milk
Must be careful with cleaning products?
At the time of clean or do house hold chores during pregnancy, you should take a way:
• Whenever you are using cleaning products use gloves. Remember that the body will absorb the chemicals from products and, accordingly, there is a potential risk affecting the baby
• Where the product release gases or a very strong odor, most advisable is to ask for help or use it in a well-ventilated area to avoid sucking gases
• Always read the labels of the products. Where they are contraindicated for pregnancy or have warnings for toxicity, most advisable is to abstain to use them or seek help to get soutions about Toxoplasmosis During Pregnancy